Sunday, June 21, 2009

Today is the first day of summer. In keeping with a summer theme, I selected Under the Boardwalk as this week's song.

The original as performed by The Drifters. There's a pretty amazing story to the song. They recorded it in May 1964. Amazingly, the group's lead singer died of a drug overdose the night before they recorded! Instead of canceling their scheduled studio time, they called a former singer for the group for the recording session. Little did they know at the time that the single would climb all the way to #4 on the Billboard charts.

Many have covered Under the Boardwalk. I chose Bruce Willis' version from the 80's. My view is that he's surprisingly good - kind of bluesy and understated. I wouldn't have expected that from John McClane of the Die Hard movies! Willis' version actually made it to #2 on the UK charts.

Rolling Stone magazine included this song as one of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

4 comments:

Becky A said...

I love this song! I actually was a big fan of bruce willis in the 80's, I absolutely love his version! Can we request songs, btw?

Cory said...

Requests are encouraged ... and may even be acccepted! I'm always looking for new ideas.

Shaury said...

This is a toughy. I've always had a small crush on Bruce so I hate to put him in second, but it's hard to beat that classic original.

Becky A said...

"Killing me softly" is my request...